In my last post I mentioned I wanted to make something like the Mimco trash and treasure bracelet and here it is! Decided to make this today since my beads arrived (from ebay) and well, it was a good distraction from studying Cancer Pathology >.<
It isn’t as edgy as the Mimco one but I feel that it suits my look much better. It has cost me a total of $16.14 so I definitely made it under the budget of $30! I finished it within an afternoon so it really is a nice little project to embark on if you’ve got to make something for a friend’s birthday or just something nice for yourself. On to the DIY!
> Memory coil wire
> Variety of glass pearls – at least 3 different sizesI suggest 6, 8, and 10mm beads and colours
> Other beads as you wish
- Count 9 loops of the memory wire and cut it.
- Curl one end of the wire so that the beads won’t fall out.
- Start threading the beads, alternating between colours, sizes and types.
- To add the beads that dangle from the bracelet, thread a single bead through a head pin, cut off excess wire and curl the end of the pin into a loop.
- Continue until the beads totally cover the memory wire.
- Curl the end of the wire with the pliers to stop the beads from falling out.
I had actually bought a bracelet that had the blue-black and clear beads already threaded onto headpins (it was $5.00 for a whole lot of pre-headpined beads so that saved me a lot of effort). I just sacrificed it and took the beads out =D
This is a good project for recycling any old beads/bracelets/necklaces that you have lying around the house but just don’t use any more. If you don’t have enough beads around, I suggest you buy them online as a packet of about 100+ cost me about $2.00 while a packet of 50 would’ve cost me $2.50 at the craft store. In total, I used over 130 beads so it is much more cost effective to buy the beads online. You could also go down to your local thrift store to re-purpose any nice bracelets/necklaces you see there.
I hope you all have fun with this and I better head off to do some study!
*Disclaimer: I do not claim any copyright over this and all original creative rights belong to Mimco. Also, please do not make this for sale.